Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Domestic Bliss

The table set ready for the strawberry & cream tea party

So its been a little over a month since I left the rat race and started working for myself. And I must say it has been brilliant. All the heartache and bullying and unrecognised work at my previous job seem (almost) worth it to be where I am now. Working my own hours, coming home to Morty in the hot afternoons, and earning similar to what I did before but working about 1/3 the time I did previously, it's absolutely wonderful. An unexpected side effect is that I have become Martha Stewart. Yep, I cook, I clean - I am now the hostess with the mostess. And I'm loving it! Case in point: it was my nan's 75th birthday last Friday, and my mum's 45th birthday on Sunday. So on Saturday I had them over for yum cha lunch at the Fish Markets followed by afternoon tea a la Martha at our house. The theme (yes, my afternoon tea had a theme): Strawberries & Cream.


The new pink dishes make an appearance, ready for strawberry jam & cream


We had apple tea cake as the birthday cake (too hot for heavy chocolate cake), pikelets with strawberry jam & cream, actual strawberries with cream, and strawberry & cream lollies. And creaming soda spiders because they are also pretty pink and white!


My inner-Martha emerges in the form of a festive garland

My 'Happy Birthday' banner is from Martha Stewart (rediscovered via Design Freebies), hung with mini Kikki-K pegs on a white ribbon. All round it was a great success, we all ate far too much and enjoyed the day thoroughly! Happy Birthday Nanny & Mum!


I've been thinking about a small new addition to posts - a few quick links to things that have sparked interest or inspiration recently. So from now on I will have a small link list at the end of posts - et voila!

READING: Renovation Planning (via Desire to Inspire). I just love aussie blogs!
INSPIRING: Illustrator Thom Glick's daily drawings and the gorgeous style of Helen Dardik (via Drawn! and Cupcakes & Cashmere/Etsy)
LOVING: Sunbeam Ceramic Kettle in blue, would looko fabbo in our kitchen (hint hint hubby!)


PS. Although its a rainy day here in Sydney, there are still terrible bushfires raging in Victoria - the worst bushfires in Australia's history. Many people have lost their homes, and far too many have lost their lives. Please visit the Red Cross to donate if you can.

2 comments:

red.door.read said...

ooh, what a sweet set up for a birthday tea party. love it.

i have been looking for a cake stand - can you share where you got yours from?

cheers.

Danielle said...

Hello again! The cakestand was a present a few years ago - its Maxwell & Williams, so you might be able to find something similar at House or Victoria's Basement?